Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Home for the holidays

I always love going home. Maybe it's because I miss my old home and friends in Maine... then again maybe it's because Jersey beats. Either way, it was good to be home. Between my Mom ragging me about not having a girlfriend and my Grandmother mentioning that "You need to have kids before I expire" I somehow managed to remain sane (at least for most of the time).

The worst part about being home is those stupid fake conversations that you have with all the people you haven't seen since the last time you were home. There were probably 5 people who I actually cared to listen to, the rest of my conversations went like this:

random person: "So, how have you been?"
me: "Good, how was your Thanksgiving?"
random person: "Good, where are you living now?"
me: "New Jersey, same old same old"
random person: "How do you like Jersey?"
me: "It beats."

You get the idea. I must have had that exact conversation with about 50 different people while I was home. I had it down so good that I basically knew what people were going to say before they said it. I started answering questions that weren't even asked. I realized people didn't really care what I had to say, so I saved them the effort of asking.

But it was good to be home. Watching people on the beer die table, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, listening to the new Aaron Wallace song "Venison ain't just a meat" and sitting on the couch all day watching football. It doesn't get any better than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home