Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Simply amazing

Before I begin, I just need to clear up one thing. I am not an Ashlee Simpson fan. I am a Wilco fan, a Red Sox fan, an ice-cream sandwich fan, but not an Ashlee Simpson fan. It's a mild curiosity at best. Ok, now on to the good stuff.

Last night's game was simply amazing. Not only did I witness the Yankees worst loss ever, the most runs ever given up at Yankee Stadium, and a tie for the worst shutout in Major League history, but also the Sox are now only 3.5 games back. Here's my recap of the night.

Pregame: Got to the parking lot at 4:30 for some tailgating. Somebody brought a funnel, I could already see this was going to be a good night.

1st inning: Vazquez gives up a bases loaded triple to Travis Hafner. Jake Westbrook pitches a 1-2-3 inning. Things are looking good.

2nd inning: Vazquez is gone after 1 out and replaced by Tanyon Sturtz. Yanks give up 3 more runs. Westbrook pitches another 1-2-3 inning.

3rd inning: Yanks give up 3 more runs. My buddy Tyler and I begin talking about this being the first game ever where a team scores 3 runs in every inning, which also spawns our first prediction of a score of 27 to 0. Westbrook has another 1-2-3 inning.

4th inning: The Indians don't score, me and Tyler are sad. Yanks get their first hit, me and Tyler are more sad.

5th inning: Indians score 6. Tyler and I think an average of 3 runs per inning is still possible so again we predict 27 to 0.

Between innings: $4.50 for a hot dog!!! (I ate 2)

6th inning: This was a sold out game, by now 9/10ths of the stadium is empty. The remaining 1/10th is filled with Yankee fans who are now cheering for the Indians. This was incredible. I was laying out between 3 rows of seats and counted 12 empty rows in front of me.

7th inning: My friend gets his signs confiscated. I didn't understand this. What happened to the first amendment. He had signs that said "Kerry is a Red Sox fan, vote Bush" and "Jenna Bush, will you marry me?". Although I wasn't a fan of the signs, I still thought it wrong for them to be taken away... who am I kidding, this was another high point of the night for me.

8th inning: I convince everybody to stay for the last inning. This is me, "There won't be any traffic, there's nobody left."

9th inning: Gerut and Martinez (both on my fantasy baseball team) both nail 3-run homers. Omar Vizquel misses his chance to break the AL record of 6 hits in 9 innings (went 6 for 7, not a bad night). Game ends at 22 to 0, not too far off from our 27 to 0 prediction.

Overall this was a great game to watch. I got to witness a piece of Yankee history at their lowest point ever. I couldn't have been happier. Plus there was no traffic driving home. Got to love baseball.

(yes, I realize that it's sad that I have 3 Indians' players on my fantasy baseball team)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home