Monday, August 09, 2004

Rafting post 1: The complaints

I just spent the last 4 days on a whitewater rafting trip in Maine. Lots of stuff to talk about so I think I'll split this into 2 posts (the good and the bad)... I think I'll start with the bad.

10 and 1/2 hour car ride with 30 people packed into 3 vans that could comfortably hold 6 people each. You do the math.

Camping in Maine with 30 people from NJ and NY is not really the ideal camping crew. First of all, NJ people do not know how to start a fire. Luckily I was there to save the day. Here's a quick lesson for you... Paper and small twigs first, then add some slightly thicker pieces of wood. The big stuff doesn't go on till last. Honestly, this should be common knowledge.

Oh, and another thing. People were amazed that I was hanging out in shorts and a tee-shirt while they were all supporting sweatshirts and long pants. I'm from Maine Goddamnit, I'm cold-blooded so leave me a lone.

No Moose sightings. Come on Maine, I only get up there once in a while and I want to see some Moose.

6:00am wake up every day. What kind of vaction is this?

Nobody, and I mean nobody knew how to pack. Again, good thing I was there to save the day. Packing is an artform, and this was my masterpiece. I strategically packed myself into the back seat with pillows all around me. I slept the whole ride home.

Who eats lobster and fried turkey while camping? What, was I staying at the Mariott or something? Ok, this one's a stretch, I shouldn't be complaining about this one.



(my favorite non-Mainer question: When does a deer turn into a moose?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home