Friday, January 21, 2005

Why Ashlee Simpson is a genius

Ok, genius is definitely not the right word... maybe lucky is better. She has become an obsession of the American public. Messing up on SNL was probably the best thing to ever happen to her. It got people all rialed up because visions of Milli Vanilli came rushing back. Her name was all over the news for a month.

Then there was the Orange Bowl mishap (which I'm glad I TiVO'd), which put her back in the headlines. You could actually hear the tape playing in the background because Simpson wasn't even close to singing along with it. And then of course came the 70,000 boos from the crowd.

I know what you're thinking, these are not good things. You're wrong and here's why: XM radio has a channel (20 on 20) that is basically a 24/7 TRL where people call in and vote for their favorite songs and they get played over and over again (and if you listen to it long enough, I believe you will go insane). Simpson has at least two songs that get played all the time. This means that the public (at least the XM crowd) still likes her. Nobody cares that she can't actually sing. It's just making her more famous.

So maybe Ashlee Simpson isn't a genius. Maybe she's not even that smart. Maybe she can't sing. Maybe the next time we hear from her again will be when she stars in "The Surreal Life: Season 27." Maybe... ok, I'll stop.

Why am I writing about this you may ask? I don't know. I guess it just makes me happy to see that people without a lot of talent can become successful. It gives me hope and makes me feel a lot better about myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home