Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The 11th wheel

I survived New Years in NYC. It was fairly uneventful, at least what I remember of it. It was super crowded, but still a good time. It was kind of a weird situation since I was playing the role of 11th wheel. By that I mean I went with 5 of my buddies and they each brought their girlfriends. So it was 5 couples and me, the 11th wheel.

So what happens when you're the third (or fifth, seventh, ninth, eleventh) wheel? It just sucks. Everybody feels bad for you because you don't have anyone to talk to, but no one wants to hang out with you because they want to hang out with their girlfriends. Ok, that may not be entirely true, but to some small extent it is.

Anyway, I only mention this because everyone around me has been talking about marriage. To me this is crazy. I'm only 24, and I'm the oldest of my friends (mostly 23 or 24). Two of my buddies are already engaged. Aren't we too young to be talking about this? Shouldn't we still be going out to bars and partying? Should I keep telling myself this?

Last week I went to the bar for Monday night football. My two roommates brought their girlfriends. Guess what, it was the worst night ever. I was sitting between the two ladies (normally this would be cool) but they were talking about relationships, and who invited who to whos party, and can you believe that Jimmy said blah blah blah... all night long. I'm not kidding, it really went on all night long. Not once did I get to cheer or yell at the game. I was so mentally demoralized from the converstation around me, it was almost impossible for me to even enjoy my beer.

I wanted to shoot myself by the end of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home