Monday, August 16, 2004

Somebody change the station!

Spent 9 hours in a car this weekend driving to the Adirondak's. A total of 2 hours sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It's times like these when I turn to the radio to keep me from going insane. However, if I hear one more Nickelback song I do believe my head will explode. How do these guys get so much radio play?

Ok, I admit that I suffer from zoned-out listener syndrome, which means that often I don't listen to lyrics and just "zone-out" and enjoy the music (this is a definite advantage for Nickelback). However, over the last 3 days, pop radio has forced me to hear these guys 8000 times. So some of their songs began to sink into my head (no, I was not in control of the radio tuner).

Ok, I know how they get radio play. Their songs have catchy melodies and rank high on the ESS (Easiliy Singability Scale) . The songs are predictable and are high energy, which I think is why people like them so much. People can zone-out and sing along, but does anyone listen to lyrics anymore? These guys couldn't write a unique lyric if their lives depended on it. Somehow I feel like I become more stupid every time I listen to them. It's hard to take these guys seriously when they use a phrase like "Coz I'm feelin' way to damn good". Do these guys understand the English language? I think they just threw that random "way" in there because they needed an extra syllable.

Anyway, I can't listen to Nickelback anymore. It is because of this, I think I may start a new blog. One that I can devote entirely to music reviews and maybe post some MP3's. Also, I read this article in the NY Times about music review blogs that got my attention. Maybe people will actually start to read something I write.



I also want to mention that this is the second weekend in a row that I challenged my "consecutive days with out a shower" streak, which is currently held at 3 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home